This week we are going bonkers for boho décor and styling. So, to coincide with our Bohemian Dream post coming later in the week, we wanted to share a “How To” so you can create the ultimate boho statement in your home. The popularity of the Macramé has gone wild in the interior world, with hanging planters and a plethora of dreamy wall art hangings. This idea from Haleema from @slip.stitch was shouting to be shared as a fabulous alternative, to add vibrancy and a hippie style to your home, at a fraction of the cost.
Haleem is one talented lady, when it comes to getting crafty with wool and we have crowned her as the Crochet Queen. She has also recently launched her Slip and Stitch marketplace selling her beautiful handmade and crocheted goods, made with love. Make sure you take a look!
So without further ado, its over to Haleem to guide us step by step through the process.
“When re-doing my bedroom, I was going for a boho theme, but I couldn’t find that “something” I was looking for as my main wall centrepiece. As I love to knit & crochet, I thought why not get creative with some leftover wool & make something to my own personal taste. So, I did just that and this was my creation.”
What you will need:
❖ A stick
❖ Wool (variety of your chosen colours)
❖ Sharp Scissors
❖ Beads/feathers (optional)
What you need to do:
1. Find a stick of your desired length. This can be any sort of stick or cane. I used a strong branch that I found in my garden.
2. Select the coloured wool that you would like to use, which coordinates with your décor. You may wish to also use beads or feathers to add that hippie vibe. These can be sourced from any good craft store.
3. Cut long strands of the wool and rearrange them to your desired preference and then fold these stands in half. Once you have everything in place, you can start to assemble your wall masterpiece!
4. Work from one side to the other, place your thumb and index finger through the loop and pull the rest of the strand of wool, pulling again to secure.
5. Continue to follow this process until you have reached the other end of the stick/branch and it is totally adorned with wool. Make sure you pull the end of each strand so that they are secure.
6. Now use string and tie it securely to both ends, so you are able to hang it on the wall. If you prefer decorative cord or even wire could be used.
7. Once you have attached your string and found the perfect spot for your wall art, you will find it a lot easier to cut . Use a sharp pair of scissors and begin to cut into your chosen style.
8. Once complete, you can add or tie your chosen beads or feathers, if desired. All you have to do now is sit back and enjoy your beautiful piece of DIY wall art that costs next to nothing to create.
What a fabulously simple idea that could be recreated to tie in perfectly with your colour scheme. This could also be made on far larger scale, dependent on the wall space you have available. I love the idea of incorporating into a feature wall, teamed with some typography prints and other prized possessions.
We are on the hunt for all of your creative and crafty DIY projects to feature on the blog. Please get in touch to share your ideas @_homebirds_ or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org